Last Sunday, we celebrated Sophia's 1st birthday. As you can tell, we had a rubber ducky theme. The cake was a comedy of errors! I was going to make a round cake and make it look like a wooden bath tub with rubber ducks floating in it. But when I was in the cake decoration aisle at Michaels, I was completely overwhelmed. That is, until I saw the 3-D duck cake pan! "It's so simple!" I thought. Little did I know. . .
So I thought ahead and baked the cake the night before. How this do-hickey works is that you fill up 1/2 all the way to the top with batter, then you clip on the other half of the mold (it lays on it side). In theory, when it bakes, the cake will rise all the way to the top. Well, it didn't. BUT, I thought I was so smart, I bought 2 boxes of cake mix, just case. I thought, hmm, I'll just bake 2 cakes, cut the ducks in half and assemble them. Well, I didn't account for the mirror images thing--the pan only sits 1 way. It was quite a feat to put the 2 pieces together.
I took pics of the duck on its good side and it's bad side. Well, I'll never forget Sophia's first birthday, that's for sure. At least the cake and buttercream icing was yummy.
1 comment:
Oh the things we go through for your young LMAO!!!!
Post a Comment