Blogging on the Brain

I know I've been quiet here recently. It's because I've been working on some new blogs. I'm totally bitten by the writing bug. Everything I do, I think, "Hmmm, that might make a good blog post." I need to start carrying around a notebook to jot down all my ideas.

I'd love it if you visit (and subscribe!) my other blogs. Each one is a bit more specialized, as opposed this one, which is kind of a mish-mash. I'd love to hear your feedback. What you'd like to see on each blog. Suggestions of topics, etc.

To make life easier, here are the links:

  • Cup of Creativi-Tea: I'm sharing all things creative, whethere it's cooking, sewing, or kid crafts. Maybe some bellydancing (that's creative!). I'm also adding lots of tutorials.
  • I'm Not the Nanny: Parenting stories, with some musings about raising biracial kids in a racially conscious world
  • Laugh in Bed: Intimacy and relationships. Maybe some sex.

I'll still post here occassionally until I get the other ones established! Thanks for reading!

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Day 21: Flames of Creativity

photo via enggul

Incredible creative life force flows through my entire being. (today's affirmation)

I have always believed that everyone is creative. It might not manifest itself into what is conventionally creative. If you think outside the box, you're creative. Without creativity we'd be pretty unhappy people don't you think?

My husband for example doesn't think he's creative. His creativity isn't the same as mine. Did you know he used to be an actor? His energy on stage is amazing! He knows how to entertain a crowd. And he makes up his own songs! Sometimes they don't make any sense, but he's enjoying himself.

Just because what you create isn't physically tangible, doesn't mean it's not valuable. The best thing about his creativity is that he's passed it on to our daughter. She has fun making up songs and singing them over and over. She doesn't worry whether it's "good." She just has fun. I'm not going to discourage her because she might make up a song with nonsense words or the same line over and over. Heck no!

The funny thing about my creativity was I never thought I was creative. My sister's artistic talent was "discovered" when she was in 2nd grade. She was able to take special art classes. She receive lots of special attention. Teachers told my parents what talent/potential she had. From then on, she was the artistic. I was the smart one. Not to say that my sister isn't smart (she's very smart). But that was my label.

I didn't realize how much I enjoyed creating art until senior year in college. (Story for another post.) Have you been given a label that's stopped from trying something new? What's stopping you now?

It was sooo cold today at the parade. Poor Sophia couldn't move. We stuck it out for an our and then went to lunch. Did I tell you she eats sushi now? Okay, she really just eats the fish and the nori. But it's a good start. Especially when she says, "I love sushi. It's my favorite!"

2 comments:

Jamie Ridler said...

What a beautiful celebration of the creativity in your family. I'm glad you discovered your creative joy too.

In our family we've had the label situation too. It's amazing the power that can have. It's such a powerful thing to break free.

Lisa said...

Oh yes, the label thing! It's all done in well meaning, but....
Hurray for breaking out of the mold. It takes alot of guts and determination I think.