Yesterday I realized that we were out of imitation bacon bits (my kid loves them), so we headed to our local health food store--not Whole Foods, but a local, religiously based store.
I went into this store on a whim last year. Once I navigated past all the Jesus Loves You books, and the highly-breakable-but-cute-and-Christian gifts, I discovered a mecca of bulk foods. Pretty good prices. I could now get my bacon bits in bulk (I only buy like 0.20 pounds at a time), as well as organic quinoa, lentils, beans, you name it! Heaven for a foodie like me.
Well, it's been several months since I stopped in the store. Especially since it's an Adventist store, they close at 3pm on Fridays and all day on Saturdays. And when is it that I remember I need to go there? Saturdays or Friday at 2:35pm.
They have totally redone their bulk foods section! For the better. Now there's a wall of spices. (Can I get a hallelujah?) Usually I hit our food co-op for their bulk spices, but this place is way closer. I didn't get to peruse the spices, as I'm not low on anything at the moment. Don't buy your spices without a list--I bought more chili powder than I can use in 5 years. Anyone need some?
However, I did see some dried tomato flakes! I had no idea they existed. Immediately, I thought of all the possibilities! A pre-packaged container was only about a buck, so I thought why not? My first thought is bake bread and add the tomato flakes to the dough. Then the flakes would infuse their yummy goodness into the dough as it rises and bakes.
Or how about dip? I have some dried chopped garlic. I can mix garlic, tomato flakes, and other herbs/spices into plain yogurt (with a dollop of mayo for creamy fatty goodness). Let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours so the flavors can meld. Voila! Perfect dip for chips or veggies. Yum!
I'm thinking they'll be good in soup too. Or if I decide to make a pre-made soup mix as a gift. You know, one of those add water and boil recipes. I'll let you know what I decide to do with them.
I had a fabulous time doing the photo shoot with my tomato flakes. What about you? Have you ever used them?
2 comments:
What a find in that store! I was wondering what the heck tomato flakes were. I'd see them and think, "what could you possibly do with those?". You saw them and had 15 amazing possibilities. I'm in awe!
Hi Kim!
I've got a little surprise waiting for you on Reminder List. Come on over!
Post a Comment