It's something I've debated myself. My main question is, will people be willing the pay the prices befitting a handmade product? Not just any handmade product. As a seamstress, I charge $20+ an hour for custom clothing orders, plus materials. I have 5+ years of profession costume construction experience. I know I'm worth it. Will others think so too?
Will making mass quantities of any item take the joy out of creating for me? I get bored making multiples of items. Depending on what I'm making that could be copy #2 or copy #5. I've always defended my position on not selling mainly for this reason. I'm a Passion Consultant, and earn my income that way. The profits are great, and I don't have to manufacture any of the products.
Has that reason become my crutch? I've been enjoying sewing and crafting so much lately, why not get paid to do what I love? Or is it the pressure of society to be validated by money? It would be nice to make enough money to pay for the craft.
So far I have no answer. My girlfriend suggested that I teach a sewing class, like one on how to make the girl's drawstring top dress. I kind of like the idea of teaching others how to sew. I like teaching. My brain doesn't want to deal with the logistics of finding a space (my apt is too small), enough sewing machines, and trying to find enough people to take the class.
What's your take on it? How much would you want to pay for a high quality handmade children's clothes? Do you want to learn how to sew?
No comments:
Post a Comment