Blogging on the Brain

I know I've been quiet here recently. It's because I've been working on some new blogs. I'm totally bitten by the writing bug. Everything I do, I think, "Hmmm, that might make a good blog post." I need to start carrying around a notebook to jot down all my ideas.

I'd love it if you visit (and subscribe!) my other blogs. Each one is a bit more specialized, as opposed this one, which is kind of a mish-mash. I'd love to hear your feedback. What you'd like to see on each blog. Suggestions of topics, etc.

To make life easier, here are the links:

  • Cup of Creativi-Tea: I'm sharing all things creative, whethere it's cooking, sewing, or kid crafts. Maybe some bellydancing (that's creative!). I'm also adding lots of tutorials.
  • I'm Not the Nanny: Parenting stories, with some musings about raising biracial kids in a racially conscious world
  • Laugh in Bed: Intimacy and relationships. Maybe some sex.

I'll still post here occassionally until I get the other ones established! Thanks for reading!

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Toddler Art


I wish I was the kind of mom that could pull out the paints everyday for Sophia. But I guess I'm just too lazy to clear off the table, lay down newspaper, etc, etc. But she sure does have fun! Look at fingers! When did we lose the desire to get messy with our art? Watching kids create art is so fun. They don't care if they get messy. They love it. They don't care if the colors mix a little--they encourage it. And they don't always care how it looks in the end--they love the process.

Here's some tips when painting with toddlers.


  • Use good washable paints. I use Crayola Washable Kid Paints. They are mostly washable. And they don't smell funny like some tempera paints do. They are on the pricey side. I'll have to save one of my Michaels coupons and buy a big box. We're almost out of orange. Some washable paints don't always wash out, especially the cheap ones

  • Instead of investing in those expensive paint cups, just use an empty egg carton. Since I only have 6 colors of paints, I cut the cartons in half. I just fill each section with a little paint and when she needs more, I'll add more so there isn't a lot of waste. Especially when she's tired of painting and just wants to mix all the colors with her hands

  • Make sure you brushes with thick handles for those toddlers. It makes it easier to grip. I also like those foam brushes like the one in the picture above. They are super expensive and she can pick up lots of paint with it

  • HAVE FUN! Don't worry about the outcome--it's the process that's important

For a great blog about creating art with your kids, check out The Artful Parent.

1 comment:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I loooove painting! I paint just like a kid... with my fingers and really cheap poster paint! :)