I have no idea what I was thinking when I offered to bake a cake for my friend's birthday party/wine tasting party for her upcoming wedding reception. All I knew was that I was in a baking mood. And of course, I'm not just going to make any old cake. It had to be cool. It had to be cute. It has to look better than store bought. Thank goodness for Martha Stewart! I decided that icing cupcakes were easier than an actual layer cake (I've been on a cupcake thing). Sophia can actually help make cupcakes too. Her favorite job is licking the bowls and spoons after we put the cupcakes in the oven.
Aren't these cool? My friend G is getting married in a few weeks. As they're serving friend chicken at the reception, they decided to buy a bunch (like a case) of wine and invite people over to eat fried chicken and taste the wines. Let me tell you, after the third or four bottle of wine was open, I was feel pretty darn good! (Thank goodness I wasn't the only one). Clever me, found this awesome recipe on Martha. Too bad the video clip doesn't show the chicken (but I almost--almost--succumbed to the peas and carrots cupcakes). They were so easy to make. Vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting. The "crispy skin" are crushed cornflakes and the bone is some really yummy dark chocolate. I did find the batter a little dry (even in my wine haze) however, the icing was excellent. The vanilla frosting took forever for me to make--take my word that you want to use a stand mixer for it (Mother's Day gift, anyone?). It was worth almost burning up my hand mixer--that icing was so light and tasty! It calls for 5 egg whites, so thanks to Alton Brown's tip, I bought pastuerized egg whites (no sense wasting real eggs).
The cupcakes were a hit! I felt bad I only brought a dozen cupcakes. It was defintely fun and yummy! (Yes, I know the bone looks a little, um, phallic. I realized that as I drew them out of chocolate--but that's what Martha told me to do!)
Tags: Cucpcakes, baking, fried chicken
Powered by Qumana
No comments:
Post a Comment