Being a mom is tough. Being a mom is even tougher when I keep thinking about all the housework that needs to be done. But is the world going to end if the clean clothes never get folded? Will my husband leave me if he has to eat the same pot of beef barely soup 3 nights in a row? What happens if I don't vacuum every week? I drive myself crazy with this cloud of housework over my head. I admire the moms who work 40 hour jobs and still get it done. Will you come over and clean my place? I think it's time to say that Good is Good Enough. It doesn't have to be perfect. At least I have clean clothes, right? (I am no way implying that I'm a slob. LOL)
I was reading Average Jane Crafter's blog taking out time for yourself as a mom. Sometimes it's hard to remove that mom label. I've always tried (in theory) by making sure I take out time for myself. The first year and a half of motherhood, it involved taking twice weekly long hot baths with a trashy (or not so trashy) magazine. Now I'm lucky if take 1 hot bath a month. What happened? My "me time" has involved the Internet. I actually get nothing done (most of the time), and it definitely doesn't relax me. I think I just feel like I'm getting something done: research, inspiration, whatever.
So for Mother's Day, take some time for self-care. Take 10 minutes or 1 hour, whatever you want to do. But here's the kicker, you can't just do it in your spare time. Why? Because in this day and age, we have none. You have to make time. Average Jane mentioned a book by Renee Trudeau called The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal: How to Reclaim, Rejuvenate and Re-Balance Your Life. You can even read some excerpts here. There's a great chapter on saying No. I know it's hard for a lot women to say no because we want everyone to be happy. Renee Trudea has some great ways you can say no to make you're not going insane from all the commitments. What's my favorite way to say no? I don't volunteer. I would love to volunteer my time to join clubs, do projects, etc but I know that I will be burned and exhausted I'll be no good to my family, not to mention myself.
You can win a copy of the book from Average Jane Crafter. So head over there!
Powered by Qumana
No comments:
Post a Comment