Blogging on the Brain

I know I've been quiet here recently. It's because I've been working on some new blogs. I'm totally bitten by the writing bug. Everything I do, I think, "Hmmm, that might make a good blog post." I need to start carrying around a notebook to jot down all my ideas.

I'd love it if you visit (and subscribe!) my other blogs. Each one is a bit more specialized, as opposed this one, which is kind of a mish-mash. I'd love to hear your feedback. What you'd like to see on each blog. Suggestions of topics, etc.

To make life easier, here are the links:

  • Cup of Creativi-Tea: I'm sharing all things creative, whethere it's cooking, sewing, or kid crafts. Maybe some bellydancing (that's creative!). I'm also adding lots of tutorials.
  • I'm Not the Nanny: Parenting stories, with some musings about raising biracial kids in a racially conscious world
  • Laugh in Bed: Intimacy and relationships. Maybe some sex.

I'll still post here occassionally until I get the other ones established! Thanks for reading!

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day 12: Being Still

Being Still isn't something I'm very good at. Even when I'm laying next to Sophia, putting her down for a nap, my brain whirls constantly. Thinking about all the things I need to do and how I would go about it. Crazy I know.

Whenever hubby has the day off and no prior engagements for that morning, I make breakfast. Today was one of those days. Not just cereal or hot oatmeal, but a big hearty breakfast: pancakes or waffles, turkey sausage, grits, and cheesy scramble eggs. Sophia helps me make the pancake batter. She measures all the ingredients and does the stirring. This is a big deal for us. I'm not much a breakfast food gal. Growing up Vietnamese, we don't normally have eggs and bacon for breakfast. Hubby loves it when I do this.

So instead of rushing to feed Sophia and check my email in the morning, I slow down. Cook breakfast. With a 3 year old helping, cooking is not a fast job. I love cooking a big breakfast for my family. We all sit down together, eat, and talk. Though with Sophia at the table, I can hardly get in a word edgewise. I guess this is my way of slowing down. Soon, I can learn how to be still.

I totally splurged today. Glemont Designs is having a sample/end of season sale this week. My friend Kellie shared it with me. I scored some fun, cute (non-mommy looking) sweaters and a very funky skirt.They had a decent selection of plus sized clothes. And the fun thing about "boutique" clothing is that I actually found a medium-sized sweater that looked great on me! How's that for an ego boost?

You know, I'm usually such a bargain shopper. My inner critic kept telling me that I didn't need this many sweaters or I could find less expensive ones somewhere else. Eventually my inner voice was swayed: I didn't have a lot of sweaters. It's getting colder. I needed more "grown-up" sweaters. And the best one, I deserve them.

The sale runs until next week (I think). So if you want to check it out, mention me, Thien-Kim and they'll give you 10% off. For the details just call. (They have no idea that I'm posting this, nor am I getting paid for it)

pancake photo by digiyesica & sweater photo from Glenmont Designs

3 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

What a perfect way to slow down, make a good hearty breakfast! I love it! I just picked up some turkey bacon and am planning on making egg mcmuffins this weekend.

I love that sweater! It's so hard to find flattering sweaters for women but you did it and now I want one too. Good for you for ignoring that inner critic. We deserve to be warm and look fabulous.

Maree Jones said...

Firstly, I want to come to your house and cook with you and Sophia and eat breakfast. Secondly, I absolutely love that sweater! I am so glad you have something for you - for the non-Mummy side of you which is just as important as the Mummy side. Now, about that breakfast... :)

Jamie Ridler said...

What a great way to start the day and set the tone and pace!