I haven't been to NYC since I lived in Syracuse, over 5 years ago. Sunday, Leapfrog invited the Northeast and mid-Atlantic moms from the Silicon Valley moms group to the Four Seasons in NYC for a lively discussion on children and technology. And of course, great swag, but I'll get to that a bit later.
Some moms mentioned they had early readers. Meaning their child started reading at 3 years old! It's amazing, isn't it? Then you start comparing. But I can't let myself get sucked into what other children's milestones are. I just have to relax and follow Sophia's lead. (There's the breathing again) We spoke of how important it is to have a balance of technology and cloth dolls & wooden blocks. I've been reluctant to let Sophia play computer games; I feel guilty enough that she watches too much tv. I can't ignore that fact that computers are everywhere. It's part of her generation. So as long as I take the time to instill the love real books and play dough, I think she'll be ok. I just can't ignore her desire to be like me and play on the computer.
That's where Leapfrog comes in. They were generous enough to gift
me with their new Tag Reading System. It's a pen that reads to your child, asks comprehension questions, and more. It also have many different books you can buy and download the story into the pen. It looks like a great way help little ones learn how to read.The best part is, that you can read the books with or without the pen. I'm going to let her try it out tomorrow and see how she likes it. The true test will be whether she'll still play with it in a week.I've never really explored Leapfrog's website either. (And they twitter). Did you know that have a great section with learning tips? And now there's a new community where you can chat with other parents and share ideas. Leapfrog is also sharing a discounts for all of my blog readers. Save $10 off $50 or more. Just enter code HY8BHPR at checkout!
New York City is an amazing place! It's always moving. There's people everywhere. I used to love going there to see Broadway shows. However, I'm a small town gal deep down and that hurry-up-vibe would start to affect me. I'd feel rushed. I guess I've come a long way. My friend & I drove from Maryland to NYC to attend the Leapfrog event. She was the perfect person to drive up with. Driving in the New York is no small feat, but she was cool and calm. She didn't let all the other cars rush her. When we street we needed turn on was closed off & the GPS didn't have a signal, we didn't panic. I think 5 years ago I might have a little stressed in that situation.
I had an entire day all to myself. My friend & I had a great time chatting during the four hour drive. Why let a little bit of traffic stress me out?
Day 2 is about creating a commitment to myself. What do I want to commit to doing daily that will empower me? There were so many daily actions that I wanted to do: watch less tv, less computer time. . .but I knew that I have to take it one step at a time. I realized that I needed to create time for myself. My commitment is in the same vein of my intention I voiced yesterday.
Everyday for the next 27 days, I shall sit down with a cup of tea for at least 15 minutes and read a book just for enjoyment. I love to read and nowadays, I just sneak it in. I deserve this time for me!
What about you? What would you do for 28 days that will empower you or make you feel truer to your real self?
4 comments:
Hi Thien-Kim,
I think it's great that your commitment is taking quality time for yourself each day. We get so busy with life distractions that we often put time for ourselves on hold when it really is so important to our inner well-being.
For my commitment, I chose to do a daily 15 minute meditation. Something I've been wanting to practise for years but never got around to....now, thanks to Soul Coaching, I am making the time for it.
Blessings ~
It's amazing the difference a cup of tea and a good book can make!! Kudos on your new commitment!!
Thanks for sharing!
A nice cup of tea and a good book. Those words alone make my spine relax and a smile spread on my face.
Your NYC trip sounds fantastic as does the Tag Reading System. It's always good to take a child's lead. They lead so wisely! :)
What a delicious commitment. Enjoy!
Post a Comment