Blogging on the Brain

I know I've been quiet here recently. It's because I've been working on some new blogs. I'm totally bitten by the writing bug. Everything I do, I think, "Hmmm, that might make a good blog post." I need to start carrying around a notebook to jot down all my ideas.

I'd love it if you visit (and subscribe!) my other blogs. Each one is a bit more specialized, as opposed this one, which is kind of a mish-mash. I'd love to hear your feedback. What you'd like to see on each blog. Suggestions of topics, etc.

To make life easier, here are the links:

  • Cup of Creativi-Tea: I'm sharing all things creative, whethere it's cooking, sewing, or kid crafts. Maybe some bellydancing (that's creative!). I'm also adding lots of tutorials.
  • I'm Not the Nanny: Parenting stories, with some musings about raising biracial kids in a racially conscious world
  • Laugh in Bed: Intimacy and relationships. Maybe some sex.

I'll still post here occassionally until I get the other ones established! Thanks for reading!

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Day 1: Breathing & decluttering

I recently turned the ripe old age of 30 last month. I thought I'd have a crisis, like many 30 year olds. Am I happy with my life? Have I accomplished what I wanted to by age 30? and so on. However I didn't. I barely took the time to reflect on what I've accomplished the past 30 years. My birthday was a whirlwind week of dinners, meetings, and a party. I guess I was just riding the wave.

So for Day 1, I took the time to reflect. Taking the time to slow down and breathe. I remember the plans I made in high school: degree in computer info systems, have a great career, and at 30, get married and start a family. I got a degree in costume design, married my college sweetheart at 23, and now have a 3 year old daughter. And I have a great career in Passion Parties. I never planned on being a stay at home mom, but I love it!

What I feel lacking is more creativity in my life. I read all of these great blogs, read great craft books and have all these fabulous ideas swirling around in my head. Then, I'm so overwhelmed, I create nothing. Sometimes when my brain is so cluttered with ideas, it keeps me awake at night. I'll have to put them to paper so my brain can rest.

Last week, while I was creating my daughter's princess dress, I felt so alive, so focused. It didn't matter that I was cutting and sewing until 6am. It was like calling a girlfriend you haven't spoken to in 6 months. Yet, as soon as you say "Hello" the conversation resumes like no time every came between us. That's how it felt with me and my sewing machine. Like putting back on leather gloves that have molded them around your hands--a perfect fit no matter how often you pull them on and off. So why don't I do it more? I don't know. I just have to get started. Once I start, I'm in the zone.

So this is where I am. Where will this Soul Coaching take me? Who knows. But this is what I've decided for the next 28 days:

I give myself permission to
  • REST
  • RELAX
  • READ
I will treat my body the way it deserves to be treated. I will give myself permission to nap, read that frivolous book, and relax with a cup of hot tea. And breathe of course. I will remember to breathe deeply and fully.

What should you give yourself permission to do?

3 comments:

Pen said...

great permissions and i can't wait to see what they uncover for you.

BlueFrogJ said...

Hmmm, I give myself permission to go to the gym. And I don't mean that sarcastically.

I haven't been in more months than I can count. It's the one part of the life change I stopped. I'm embarrassed to go back now, its been so long. The silly thing is, why be embarrassed? It's not like I knew anyone there. So, really, who's gonna even know I've been gone so long? Silly!

Jamie Ridler said...

Congratulations on all you've accomplished! Cheers to turning 30 and discovering the next decade of your life.

What a beautiful image of creativity being a girlfriend you can pick up with easily! I think she wants to be included in this month :)