Blogging on the Brain

I know I've been quiet here recently. It's because I've been working on some new blogs. I'm totally bitten by the writing bug. Everything I do, I think, "Hmmm, that might make a good blog post." I need to start carrying around a notebook to jot down all my ideas.

I'd love it if you visit (and subscribe!) my other blogs. Each one is a bit more specialized, as opposed this one, which is kind of a mish-mash. I'd love to hear your feedback. What you'd like to see on each blog. Suggestions of topics, etc.

To make life easier, here are the links:

  • Cup of Creativi-Tea: I'm sharing all things creative, whethere it's cooking, sewing, or kid crafts. Maybe some bellydancing (that's creative!). I'm also adding lots of tutorials.
  • I'm Not the Nanny: Parenting stories, with some musings about raising biracial kids in a racially conscious world
  • Laugh in Bed: Intimacy and relationships. Maybe some sex.

I'll still post here occassionally until I get the other ones established! Thanks for reading!

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Don't forget to breathe

Yep, I gave in. Those who know me well know that I don't like pink. I even requested no pink items at my baby shower. And my daughter's favorite color is. . .you guessed it! Pink! And now she loves princesses! We're even having a princess birthday party next week. I figure, why fight it? It's just a phase right?

Halloween was such a beautiful day: blue skies, warm sun, and of course, candy! Sophia loves her princess dress. By the time Halloween rolled around, she had already worn it everyday for 3 days. I'm so glad the day was beautiful enough for pictures outside. As you can see, she loves taking pictures. These are the candid shots, between her princess poses.

This dress was a result of 3 all-nighters. I'm the queen of last minute projects. I started Sunday night and finished it early Wednesday morning. The pattern is Vogue 7819. I'm very pleased with how it came out. I loved how the directions had me bag the lining for the bodice. I've never done it that way before--it would work really well with vests too. The sizing on this pattern was very true to size. Sometimes other pattern companies, the ease in the finished garment is so big, I have go down a size. Hopefully she won't outgrow this dress too quickly. It'll be making another appearance at her birthday party.

I think I'm addicted to being busy. I love looking at my calendar and seeing all the days filled with things. All day I run around and try to cram in as much housework and other work as I can. And I forget to breathe and be present. To enjoy the time of just sitting with my thoughts or being fully present with my daughter. So I've joined a Soul Coaching group, found via Leah (who is an amazing artist, btw. Check out her blog!). I joined the group because I need the accountability. Every day I'll post a few thoughts on the process. As suggested by Denise Linn, I've gotten a composition book to record my progress in. I think on Monday, during nap time, I'll decorate the cover and make it mine.

4 comments:

Jamie Ridler said...

By remembering to breathe you are already participating in the first week of Soul Coaching: air week! It's great to have you on the journey.

And how beautiful for your daughter to experience the magic of being a princess!

Lisa said...

That is a gorgeous dress (said the 48 year old woman who really still wants to go out dressed as a princess herself...) I have a friend, a real tomboy from when we were kids, fight-the-power-feminist, all tough and tumble, business woman ... and her daughter came out of the womb the girliest girl ever (she used to joke it must be my kid.) I loved and admired my friend so much for the way she accepted the differences between her daughter and herself - the kid used to bug my friend to put on dresses and tiaras and make-up, and my friend would explain "that's your taste, mommy likes jeans and boots, and it's ok we're different." Sounds like you are doing the same for your daughter - that's so cool.

Leticia- Tech Savvy Mama said...

Wow! What a gorgeous dress! It came out beautifully! Hope you had a great Halloween!

Bam Bam's Mom said...

I love Sophia's dress. I recently got a sewing machine off of freecycle and have no clue on how to use it. I went through the instructions but gave up (not like me either). Maybe you can help me out one day. I'm so set on sewing but I need to master the sewing machine first.