I thought about this as I drove to my parties. For a while I was stuck, because I just couldn't narrow it down to one. Then I realized, that's ok! Life is a journey, and like any path, has many twists and turns.
The event I kept coming back to was my decision to marry my husband. We started dating my freshman year in college. He did the chasing and I finally gave in. We had our usually ups and downs, just like any relationship. However, my parents did not know he was part of my life. Even after 3 years, I did not tell them about him. Why? My parents did not want me to marry a black man. A white man was acceptable, but not preferred. This caused a rift in the third year of our relationship. Hubby understood why I was not ready to tell my parents (my sister knew and supported us), but I think underneath he thought I was exaggerating the consequences.
My senior year in college, we had a long distance relationship. I proposed to him over the phone. (Yep, I sure did!) When we became engaged, I felt ready to tell my parents. It sounds counter-intuitive, I know. I didn't want to rock the boat unless I knew for sure that this was the man I wanted to grow old with.
When I told my parents, they were very upset. They didn't speak to me for many months. They begged my sister to convince to leave him. It was a rough time for me. Family is very important to me, even though my mom and I hardly ever see eye to eye. They didn't even decide to come to the wedding until the month before.
Even though it was a hard period of my life, it made me realize that I have to choose my path in life. I'm responsible for the decisions in life. Of course I had rebelled against my parents before, but this was BIG. I no longer felt dependent for their approval. If you know anything about being the first born in a Vietnamese family, you know how hard this is to overcome.
I get to choose what paths I want to take in my life. And I have to deal with whatever the results are, good or bad. Good thing this decision worked out. We've been married 6 years, together for 12.
7 comments:
Congratulations! and that is a huge life lesson by the way. . . that you are responsible for your life choices, come what may. You have to live your life according to your own beliefs and ideals and not those of others, no matter how much you love and respect them. Bravo! and many more happy years together!!
Peace~
Dawn
How beautifully happy you two are. How synchronized you are. Thank you for sharing this moment in your life, for reminding us that the difficult times are watersheds for our true selves and our destinies! ♥
Listening your your inner voice - what a beautiful example of this! (& cute photo :] )
How wonderful that you shared a picture of such joy.
I'm glad that your parents eventually decided to come to the wedding. Rifts in relationships are painful but not being true to who we are, even more so.
Thank you for modeling being true to you.
Congratulations for not caving in to the wants of others and following your heart even though I can't imagine what it must have been like to not talk to your parents for so long. You make a beautiful couple and I hope I get to meet your hubby sometime soon!
Good choice! He looks like a sweetheart, and you look ecstatically happy with him. Beautiful.
thanks for sharing your story! you both look SO happy in the picture!
Post a Comment