It too me a while to embrace Sophia's love of princesses. I know she loves Disney's Cinderella, but I've been on the look out for non-traditional princess stories. I want her to know that there are princesses who don't need a Prince in Shining Armor to rescue them. Thankfully, my friend Bluefrog, who's a children's librarian, recommended some great ones.However, I've been unable to find them at my local library. Yesterday, while I at the checkout counter, I spied The Princess and the Pizza
Guess what? It's such a great story. Princess Paulina's father has given up the life of a king to become a wood carver. She's looking for a way to become a princess again. Her chance arrives when Queen Zelda of Blom holds a competition to find a bride for her Prince Drupert. (Gotta love the names!). Thus Princess Paulina enters 3 rounds of competition.
Princess Paulina, is funny and assertive. She doesn't sit around and wait for things to happen. And she's not afraid to speak her mind. She's my kind of princess! Sophia likes it too. I've already read it twice in 6 hours. I think the hubby will probably do another reading tonight at bedtime. I'm going to give it another week and see if I should purchase a copy (or get it from Paperbackswap).
I'm so happy that we found this book! Who doesn't love a funny heroine that takes control of her destiny?
I'm going to try to make this a regular feature as I find non-traditional books. Some classics that we've read (but got a lukewarm recession from our resident princess) are The Paper Bag Princess
3 comments:
AHHH! Mary Jane Auch. Love her stuff. Glad you found it. I like that book too.
Love the whole concept of the book. Thank you for pointing it out. We need more independent princesses that are not just about attitude. :)
I love the storyline of the book!
Post a Comment