Sophia has great hair. Sometimes it's a bit unruly. Headbands are the easiest way to keep it out of her face. I bought some ribbon & elastic headbands at the dollar store, but of course, the pink one is missing. The world is not right in Sophialand if everything isn't pink.
Luckily, I scored some pink grosgrain ribbon at a Joann's that was closing. (As well as some corset and underwear patterns! Woohoo). I just used the dollar store headband as a model to make the new ones. It's super easy. I recommend making one straight through and then you can just make the rest assembly line.
You'll need:
- ribbon long enough to go around your head- I recommend grosgrain as it's stronger. But you can use anything. Just don't use anything slippery as it'll slide out of your hair.
- thin elastic- I used elastic 1/4" but you can go up to 1/2" without being to obtrusive. It doesn't even have to match the ribbon. I used white because that's what I had. Black would've blended in with Sophia's hair better
- thread
- a sewing machine isn't necessary to make these. You can hand sew them but it might take longer than 5 minutes
Line up your elastic to one end of your ribbon. Place the elastic on the right side of the ribbon (if there is one). Fold the sides of the ribbon over the elastic and pin. Like this:
Do the same to the other end, making sure the elastic isn't twisted.
Place your pinned ribbon and elastic under your presser foot, with the pin still in. Once I lower the presser foot, then I'll pull the pin out. When it's folded, it's too small for me to put it under the foot the way I want it. I don't recommend sewing over the pin in this case. Since my elastic isn't very wide, I put my machine on a smaller stitch setting.
Stitch over the folded ribbon and elastic. Back stitch and go over back and forth a 3-5 times. Sometimes, my vintage sewing machine doesn't like elastic, so the back of my stitching looks like a bad hair day.
All you do is take your trusty snips and trim it all off. Like a haircut. Go ahead. No one has to know. Besides it'll take way too long to take the stitches out. Then it won't take 5 minutes to make right? I know, it's not pretty, but no one will see it when you're done.
This is what it'll look like after you turn your seam inside out. The folded part of the ribbon hides your stitching.
Voila, now you have a ribbon headband! Or in my case, a lot of headbands! (Don't you love my new ironing board cover?)
You can also embellish your ribbon with buttons, fabric or silk flowers, beads, whatever your want! Pull out the hot glue gun or needle and thread. Go to town! If Sophia wasn't at my side pulling on the headbands, I might have done that.
So for about 15 minutes of my time (including Sophia's help cutting down the ribbon), I now have 8 new headbands! Thankfully she didn't mind that I sneaked in a lavender one.
Let me if you make one! I'd love to see some pictures.
2 comments:
Adorable! I'm totally impressed :)
Love it! I can use all of my grosgrain ribbon scraps for some awesome headbands. Thanks for the tutorial! :)
Post a Comment