I know the moms in my playgroup think I'm Super Mom because I'm crafty, and I like to cook. I'm not doing all of this to because I have a type A personality. Which I do, but I've relaxed a lot. Ask my husband.
I craft because I have to. If I go too long without crafting, I get antsy and restless. Somehow with this pregnancy, the urge to craft has been stronger. Maybe I'm nesting already.
I'm totally in love with this faux smocked dress that Heather Ross featured on her blog. Even Amanda Soule Blake made one. The first one I cut apart an old dress. It was so comfortable, that I wore it 2 days in a row. (I did wear it with a strapless bra since my boobies aren't quite so perky or small).
I've been digging through my stash and remembered I had this cute rayon print I bought back in college. Thankfully I had the forethought to prewash 8 years ago. From cutting out the fabric to finish, it took me about 3 hours--with lots of pee breaks in between.
I didn't use a pattern. Basically, I took a rectangular piece of fabric and cut the sides to a slight A-line so it's not so wide at the top, but leaving room for my big belly. You can definitely download the free pattern from Heather Ross. I'm just too lazy to print it out. For Sophia's dress, I just used 2 rectangular pieces.
Heather Ross also recommends that you draw your stitching lines for the shirring on your top. I'm also a bit lazy in this department. The good thing about this design is that it's very forgiving. If you don't do it exactly right, it'll still look good and fit!
Here's a trick for the shirring. It's exactly 1/4" from your needle (in its normal position) to the right (or left) edge of your sewing foot. I just used my sewing foot as guideline. Just line up your previous shirring line next to the edge of your foot.
I wanted to add a ruffle to the bottom of Sophia's dress, but at 3:30am, it was too much work.
I've never thought I'd make matching dresses for my daughter and I, but it was fun wearing them out today. We got lots of compliments. People kept asking me where I bought our dresses. I guess it's a compliment from non-sewers since they don't look handmade. Sadly most ready to wear clothes aren't made as well as the clothes I make for me.
Thank goodness Sophia liked her dress. She did complain that it wasn't long enough. You know, not princess-y enough. Can't win I guess. But she enjoy dressing like her mama. That and making funny poses for pictures.
Now that I have 2 of these dresses, would it be too much to make a 3rd?
Tomorrow is my big ultrasound. If the baby cooperates, maybe we'll see if it has a penis or not.
6 comments:
Love the dresses - Sophia looks darling in hers! Good luck with the ultrasound tomorrow. I hope everything shows up healthy and you get a good gender reveal :)
Did I read that right? You're pregnant again? Did I know this already? I don't remember you mentioning this when I saw you guys at Joel's wedding. If my memory hasn't failed me and this is the first I've heard this news, tell Larry he's a fool for not telling his friends the good news.
Cheers,
Michael
p.s. Congratulations!
Oh wonderful. I love the dresses and the picture. Here's hoping the beeb cooperates for you at the sonogram.
the dresses look great! I was just looking at that pre-shirred fabric in joanns and trying to decide if it was too 70s....not at all! you guys look awesome!
good luck on the US!!
ADORABLE!!!
Post a Comment