Blogging on the Brain

I know I've been quiet here recently. It's because I've been working on some new blogs. I'm totally bitten by the writing bug. Everything I do, I think, "Hmmm, that might make a good blog post." I need to start carrying around a notebook to jot down all my ideas.

I'd love it if you visit (and subscribe!) my other blogs. Each one is a bit more specialized, as opposed this one, which is kind of a mish-mash. I'd love to hear your feedback. What you'd like to see on each blog. Suggestions of topics, etc.

To make life easier, here are the links:

  • Cup of Creativi-Tea: I'm sharing all things creative, whethere it's cooking, sewing, or kid crafts. Maybe some bellydancing (that's creative!). I'm also adding lots of tutorials.
  • I'm Not the Nanny: Parenting stories, with some musings about raising biracial kids in a racially conscious world
  • Laugh in Bed: Intimacy and relationships. Maybe some sex.

I'll still post here occassionally until I get the other ones established! Thanks for reading!

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Impromptu Movie Date--Julie & Julia

It's sad that hubby and I don't go on very many dates. Maybe 3 times a year. Hubby scored some passes to a sneak peek of Julie & Julia earlier this week. After several phone calls, we secured a babysitter (thank Sis!). Mind you this was all the day before the screening.

I didn't expect to be able to see the movie in the theatre, maybe on DVD later. It was quite a treat. Even with the woes of the Metro, my sister finally made it back to Silver Spring and we rushed off to the theatre. Thankfully there were still seats. (Usually at screenings, they give out more passes than available seats). We even splurged on a soda and popcorn thank to a great coupon.

I read Julie Powell's book last year and enjoyed immensely. I love reading books about cooking and food. It was fun to follow along Julie's adventure as she cooked through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in 1 year. Quite an endeavor right? I'm not sure I could eat rich French food for an entire year. I love my Vietnamese food too much.

I loved the scenes in the movie with Julia Child (played by Meryl Streep) & Paul Child (Stanley Tucci). I don't know very much about Julia Child's life, so it was fascinating. Ann Roth, the costume designer did a great job of making Meryl Streep look super tall. With the long pants and the gorgeous wedge shoes.

Since I used to work in costume design for the theatre, I alway notice the costumes in movies. And I'm a sucker for period pieces. I loved fifties dresses. Those are dresses that flatter almost any figure, even mine! The striped chevron dresses and skirts--such eye candy.

Streep & Tucci had such amazing chemistry in the movie. Julia & Paul were deeply in love. They did a great job of showing that, not just with words, but expressions and gestures.

I know the movie was about Julie Powell's journal through Julia Child's cookbook, but Meryl Streep definitely stole the show. Gotta love Nora Ephron! She did a great job with the screenplay. Though it was much sappier than the book, I did leave the theatre feeling very good.

That's what you want at the end of a date, right?

Maybe hubby can score passes for The Time Traveler's Wife?

2 comments:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

So jealous! But, also so glad to know that you liked the movie so much. We actually go see about 3 movies a year these days but I really want to see this one in the theatre.

Leticia- Tech Savvy Mama said...

Glad you enjoyed it because I think I am going to see it as part of a girls' night out next week!