Hi, I'm Kim, and I have clutter. I saw part of the decluttering episode on Oprah this week, and I'm inspired. Ever since hubby and I have lived together, we have "discussions" on how to keep the house. Now with a small child, it's even harder to keep up with the household chores. Now that I stay home with Sophia, I feel even more obligated to keep up with it. Nevermind that I'm running my business along with taking care of a toddler. Of course hubby and I will get a fire under our butt and do some crazy cleaning in 1 or 2 days, but of course we would just revert back to our old habits. Now what does this rambling have to do with clutter?
I think the problem we have problem keeping up with our household chores is that we have TOO MUCH STUFF! The laundry piles up because there's always more clothes in the closet. Same with the dishes--though I don't keep my dishes in our closet. I decided today (as I was putting away the piles of clean laundry. And putting piles of dirty laundry in the washer) that if we get rid of some clothes then we would run out of clothes more often and do laundry more often! Same thing with the dishes--but I haven't told hubby we're going to purge some dishes.
Hubby is a packrat. It's no fault of his own. His mother saved lots of stuff. So up until recently, getting him to purge was almost like pulling teeth. He would do it, but very grudgingly ("Didn't we just purge some clothes in the fall?" Poor hubby). I think he's come to accept me for who I am: a shit flinging monkey. I'm going to implement the "in-out" rule that they mentioned on Oprah. If I buy something new, I have to get rid of something I already own (in the same category).
I purged my closet today. Filled up a box. I had all of these blouses that I wore at my old insurance lady office job. It's been 2 years since I worked there. I guess I kept thinking I'll need them again. It feels good to get rid of stuff. Of course I'm going to donate my clothes to thrift shop. My only dilemma is the maternity clothes. We know we want another child, but at least not for another year. Do I keep the clothes? I have 2 boxes (about the size of those case of paper boxes) full of maternity clothes. Maybe I'll just keep the articles I really like.
The clutter I'm not ready to admit to: my craft supplies. Ack!
Blogging on the Brain
I know I've been quiet here recently. It's because I've been working on some new blogs. I'm totally bitten by the writing bug. Everything I do, I think, "Hmmm, that might make a good blog post." I need to start carrying around a notebook to jot down all my ideas.
I'd love it if you visit (and subscribe!) my other blogs. Each one is a bit more specialized, as opposed this one, which is kind of a mish-mash. I'd love to hear your feedback. What you'd like to see on each blog. Suggestions of topics, etc.
To make life easier, here are the links:
I'll still post here occassionally until I get the other ones established! Thanks for reading!
I'd love it if you visit (and subscribe!) my other blogs. Each one is a bit more specialized, as opposed this one, which is kind of a mish-mash. I'd love to hear your feedback. What you'd like to see on each blog. Suggestions of topics, etc.
To make life easier, here are the links:
- Cup of Creativi-Tea: I'm sharing all things creative, whethere it's cooking, sewing, or kid crafts. Maybe some bellydancing (that's creative!). I'm also adding lots of tutorials.
- I'm Not the Nanny: Parenting stories, with some musings about raising biracial kids in a racially conscious world
- Laugh in Bed: Intimacy and relationships. Maybe some sex.
I'll still post here occassionally until I get the other ones established! Thanks for reading!
Sunday, February 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Kim! I'm in the middle of counting Roseate Spoonbills and I stopped to visit your blog. Nice to meet you. I live with a packrat too!!! And I have been to one of those passion parties...many years ago when I was passionate...LOLOL .whew! I'll be back to explore more.
Post a Comment